Monday, October 14, 2013

Washington ThinSkin

I recently reflected on my upbringing when it comes to politics. Looking back at it as a whole, it's almost as if I was looking at two completely different people.

Some of my views fiscally are mostly conservative. I won't lie. I like money and the opportunity to pursue a better life and not settling for the status quo.

However, when it comes to social issues, I like to use the common sense meter compared to the liberal or conservative cue cards.

Lately, I've grown sick of politics. My sickness has no immunity to either party.

When I turn on MSNBC and a episode of Lock-Up or reruns of To Catch a Predator are not on, I want to vomit.

When I even turn it on Fox News, I want to punch the panel in the face.

I ask myself, why have I become so cynical that I'm not eager to hear both sides of the argument?

The answer is plain and simple.

The only thing you hear is rhettoric and bullshit and no focus on the real problem at hand.

Here's an example:

Bob Costas had a commentary in regards to the controversial Washington Redskins, who now after 80 years of existence, are deemed offensive.

The first thing I hear is that Bob Costas needs to keep the politics out of his sports commentary.

I disagree even though I think that his take had contradiction and is a little misguided.

There are three questions that I would like to ask:

1) If this was so offensive and not a problem, why was it not addressed in the 1960's after the historic Civil Rights Battle? Was it a problem then?

2) Exactly what percentage of the butt-hurt over this name is actually by those of Native American decent? I'd be shocked if it was above 20.

3) How many American people actually actually use the term Redskins other than describing the NFL Franchise?

For those who are so offended by this, Ask yourself that question and then ask yourself, "Am I making a difference or being a nuisance?".

What would be a better use of your time and make a better impact? Raising Money and Awareness for abused children so no other father would have to suffer the anguish that Adrian Peterson recently did? Or do you want to fight to change a name of a football where anyone with a functioning brain would not be all of the sudden racist because they talk about them?

This is why I have become sick of the political environment.

Don't get wrong, I think it is important to keep up with politics and know what is going on.

However, when you flip on the news, you should be hearing conversations about how our economy should be fixed, what's the best compromise for that goal and how we can come up with solutions rather than fighting over agendas.

Instead, we're hearing about a talk show host who should be fried for using the term "slut", (which isn't the worst thing mentioned talk show host has ever said), and how an NFL team needs to change it's name and that we're too dumb to see how offensive it is.

Is it because we're too dumb or maybe we don't use that term in any other way but describe the football team.

If the Redskins change their name, when does it end? Will it come to a point to where we can't have nicknames at all because some idiot with artificial outrage will get his way?

Sports is our escape from the political rhetoric that gets crammed down our throats from both sides of the aisle.

What really should be offensive about this conversation is the lack of common sense when it comes to handling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment